Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Georgetown 10 Miler

Two weekends ago, I ran the Georgetown 10 miler.  This is an interesting race set up because they do the race on both Saturday and Sunday.  So you can sign up for the race either of those days or both days for a total of 20 miles in 2 days.  I chose the 1 day option on Saturday.  It was also the 5th anniversary for the race.

I signed up for the race without having much information on it.  I couldn't find a lot of information online.  I found some general information on the course (an out and back on the C&O Canal Tow Path) and I know from previous runs on that trail that it's crushed gravel and relatively flat.  I also saw that it was a pretty small race (119 people the day I ran according to the results). 


Race day selfie

I pretty much just signed up because the timing was right and I knew I would need an 11-ish mile training run between the RnR DC half and the Star Wars Half at Disney World.  And they had a 3 hour time limit for the 10 miles so I knew I would be ok with a training pace.

 
Pretty scenery for the warm up run as well

There was no packet pick up in advance, only race morning.  The race started at 9 am so that wasn't too bad.  The email sent out from the race a couple days before indicated that there was some street parking and also garages in the area.  I wanted to try for street parking so I went early.  I think I got there around 7:45 or so.  I waited in the car a bit and then did a 1 mile warm up run.

 

After that, I went and picked up my bib.  You only got the bib at the beginning and the shirt was handed out after the race.  There was no line when I got there for bib pick up.  From bib pick up to the race start, there was a steep stair case you had to climb.  I knew it was going to suck climbing back down the stairs after the race.  Once I got to the top, there was a nice little set up with a small tent for bag check and there was a DJ playing music.  There was plenty of room to warm up and it was a pretty relaxed starting area given the small numbers.



View across the river from the start line

And then we were off!  There's nothing much to really say about the race itself.  It was small but it was on a trail that wasn't closed.  It was a beautiful day so there were plenty of people out.  It was crowded at the start but spread out really quickly and since I was in the back, I never felt crowded.

 
Trail with the canal on the left and river on the right

There was a water stop around mile 2.5 and therefore at mile 7.5 on the way back.  By water stop, I mean one guy with some bottles of water or a jug he could use to pour water into your own water bottle.  I somehow missed him on the way out so didn't get a refill of my water bottle until the way back.  This did not go well for me since it heated up pretty quickly that morning, the sun was out in full force, and there was very little shade on the trail.  As you can see from my splits, I definitely faded as the race went on.  I wish it had started earlier then 9am, but April is a tricky month.  It could have been cold and then people would have complained if the race had started too early.

 

So I did not do too well at this race.  I think part of it was the water/heat issue and but the other part is I really just went out way too fast.  I'm not at the fitness level I was at last year and I can't try to race as if I was.  My pace should definitely be in the 13's at the beginning, not the 12's.

 

But I would definitely recommend this race for anyone looking for a small, low-key 10 miler in the Spring in the DC area.  Everyone was really kind and supportive, it was well organized, it's a beautiful trail with river or canal views for much of it.  The time limit was very generous so it was a good option for walkers as well.  There was a fun medal at the end, and a t-shirt (cotton, not tech).  I think it was around $60 so not too expensive either.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment