Friday, August 4, 2017

Friday 5 - favorite races

It's finally Friday!  This week has seemed to crawl by.  I'm sure it's because we have a fun weekend planned with a mini trip down to Williamsburg for Busch Gardens.  We got cheap tickets through Groupon a bit ago and I'm looking forward to using them. But first, it's time for the Friday Five hosted by Running on Happy & Fairytales and Fitness.  And the theme for today is favorite races.

Oh man, that's a hard one!  Narrowing it down to five is going to be difficult but here's what I feel like today.  This is not in any particular order, just my top five in general.

1.  Semper Fi 5k - I have done this 5k every year since I started running.  And it's been a PR race almost every year.  It's a beautiful scenic course downtown, and flat.  The logistics are always smooth and it's got a wonderful, family friendly atmosphere and it's always supportive for everyone, very walker friendly too.


2. RnR DC - I have a love hate relationship with the Rock and Roll DC half.  This year's RnR DC was my first DNF.  And there's a giant hill about halfway through the course.  But in general, I love this course.  It's scenic at the beginning starting downtown alongside the museums and monuments and then winds through the neighborhood sections of DC.  I don't think there is any other DC race that gives you such a good feel of the city.  I love the crowd support in the neighborhood areas and the entertainment alongside the route.  It's in March so the weather is always a wildcard.  It's never too hot but it was super cold this year and the first year I did it there was rain the whole time.


3.  RnR Vegas - Speaking of Rock and Roll races, I have to mention Vegas!  This was the perfect girls weekend and running down the strip at night was amazing.  The logistics were tough on this one and the course was the most crowded race I've ever been in, but it was all worth it.  The whole experience, from the expo, to doing the 5k with my dad, to the pre-race concert, to running past the Bellagio right as the fountain show started, was amazing!


4.  MCM 10k - I've never run the Marine Corps Marathon but I love that they have a 10k option as well for those that aren't interested in the marathon distance.  It's a great way to get a taste of DC's iconic race.  Again, the course starts out wonderfully scenic with a start down on the mall by the museums.  And though there's a tough hill at the end, you've got marines to cheer you on!  The atmosphere around this race is incomparable.  And the organization is flawless.


5. Tower of Terror 10 miler - I love my Disney races, but I think my first one is still my favorite.  I loved the Tower of Terror 10 miler.  10 miles is a great distance and the villains theme was so much fun!  I also loved the night time race atmosphere and the fact that there was a post race party.  It's too bad that they're not doing this race anymore but fingers crossed that they bring it back at some point.








  

So that's my list of 5 top races.  Ask me tomorrow and the list may change!  There are so many good races in this area but that's a good thing :)  Hopefully everyone has a great weekend ahead of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment