Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Preparing for Marathon Training

I can't believe it's already the middle of August!  It seems like the Summer has just flown by.  And I've been enjoying running for fun and learning how to run by heart rate.  I haven't been in training for a specific race since I finished the Star Wars Dark Side half marathon in April.

But that changes soon.  I'll be running my first full marathon at Disney World in January and training starts in September.  So I've been spending the Summer building a base and learning how to run easy but I've also been taking some steps recently to get ready.  First, I ordered new shoes that I'll start using when I start training!

 

They're the same model as my current shoe but they do look a bit different from last year's version.  Also, the color is definitely more subdued than I usually go for but the price was much cheaper on these :)

 I also did some shopping.  Fabletics was having a sale a bit ago and I got some running clothes there.  I also saw a good sale at Skirt Sports and got another running skirt.  I didn't spend too much on clothes because the latter part of my training will be in cold weather anyway but I think we've got a bit of hot weather to go so these pieces should come in handy.  I also got a new set of wireless earbuds for my birthday since I broke my last pair so I'm sure that will come in handy for training too.

 
Ok, this isn't for running.  But it was so cute and the sale was so good at Fabletics!

But the most important thing I've been doing to prepare is try to figure out a training plan.  I've used a Hal Higdon plan for my last couple half marathons and his novice 2 plan looked like a good option for marathon training.  I had printed out a calendar for the next couple months and plotted in the training but I was still questioning myself.  It didn't really feel right.  And I remembered that the first half marathon I trained for, I trained with a group.  It felt so much better because I had help navigating through new territory.  And I didn't necessarily want to find an official training group but someone to help out with guidance would be nice.

So I decided I'm going to try an online running coach.  I had an introductory consultation with Laura from This Runner's Recipes last week and it was a great conversation.  I'm excited to start training and I felt better about my doubts after talking with Laura.  I feel good about her philosophy and having a plan that is a little more tailored then something I just pulled off the internet.  Of course, I'm happy that I also have a friend that I've convinced to do her first marathon too, so I should have company on most long runs and I'm sure that will help too!

I'm still working on convincing the third member of our little running group to join us :)

Any other tips you guys have for someone jumping into marathon training for the first time in a couple weeks?  I'd love to hear it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment